Hi All,
I was thinking Julie and I can attempt to send out occasional emails to you all to let you know what we've been up to here in Australia. Also, this email can provide one location our family to communicate together and I can answer all your burning Australia questions. I prefer something more private then blasting every little detail on facebook and I'm sure some of you do as well.
First, I'd like to give a big thank you to mom for staying with Julie in Houston prior to Karlee's birth when I was away. You were a tremendous help for Julie and we could not have done this without you. Thank you dad for surrendering mom during this time and suffering through canned pork and beans. Also, thank you so much Mandy and William for letting us stay with you during the transition out of the house and let us carjack you all for a few days.
Ok, now to what many have been wondering - how did the flights go? It was miserable but good at the same time. Karis and Karlee were very good. One of the concerns we had was how Karis would do. We brought the smaller of the two car seats on the planes and planned to strap Karis in for takeoff/landing/sleeping and hold Karlee. Karis is a little big for it now but she did well in it. She slept in it and I don't remember her really pitching a fit for being strapped in. We did have bulkhead seating for the long flight from SF to Sydney in which the flight attendants setup a bassonette so we could lie Karlee in. This worked very well and we had a lot more leg room so it was nice. One downside is the toilets are on the other side of the wall and Julie, for fear of not hearing Karlee crying, didn't use earplugs and couldn't sleep with the toilets flushing. I felt like I got a little sleep in finally as I have rarely have ever been able to sleep on a plane.
Once Mom, Dad, Mandy, William dropped us off at the airport, which was hard (and thinking I'm nuts about to take these young kids half way around the world), we had to deal with a cluster for check-in at United. They didn't have Karlee in the system correctly so we had to deal with someone who had no idea what to do and had to call the office. Finally got that straight then our tickets didn't print correctly. Only 2 of the 4 first, then 2 were double printed. Then we only had 3 of 4 bag tags, etc. Finally 30-40 minutes later and kids screaming we were ready to get through security. Security was ok we had to hold each kid and let them strip search our stroller on the other side. Our flight from Houston to SF was uneventful. We sat 4 rows from the last seats in the plane but we had our own row. This is the pic Julie took and posted on facebook that you may have seen. For fear of waking Karlee in the carseat we held Karis initially and let Karlee sleep.
Once we got to SF we only had 1 hr 20 min for the next flight. I had complained about this when booking our flights but an earlier flight would have cost additional 2400 and we had United assurance that if we missed they would take care, yada yada. Anyways, once we hit SF and us being all the way in the back of the plane we waited until everyone was past. Finally got off and proceeded to figure out what gate is next since our tickets said TBD. The departure screen said gate 103 so we were off to find the international terminal while being halfway confused since the signs posted went up to 102G only. Someone confirmed we were going in the right direction but still no 103 anywhere. Finally, found a new screen in the international wing that said our flight was at gate 102G (relief). I knew we still had some time they weren't even boarding yet so we stopped for snacks. Next thing we know walking up to the gate while we were still on the top level they are announcing last call for the flight. I yelled from the balcony that we are on our way down the elevator. So thankfully we made it. But...guess what, we're the last ones on the plane and our bulkhead doesn't have seats in front for our carry-ons to stow underneath. "I knew it! I knew it!" I was reminiscing back to exactly what I told the booking agent that we would be last ones and have to store our belongings for the kids half way down the plane. Turns out we got all but one fairly close and could have fit the other but flight attendant made me take the last one to the front of the plane. I later moved it back closer to us where I originally knew it would fit.
From there we had ok flight, just felt like it would never end. After 4th trip it doesn't get any better. Karis we played with some, then she slept some, then ate some, then pooped some, then cried some, then rinse and repeat. Karlee was just eat, sleep, cry then rinse and repeat. We did have this one kookoo flight attendant going on and on about how cute they were and how she could see Karis' little hands sticking up out of the car seat and it was so adorable. She told us this at least 4 times then would ask more questions like she just saw this kids for the first time. Afterwards while everyone else was disembarking and we were stuck waiting so I could get back to our bags, several passengers stopped and commented how good the kids were. There was a little boy a few rows back that would throw screaming fits every few hours so I bet his parents didn't get the same adoration.
What's next? That's right, Sydney! O boy! I mean oh no! The flight was delayed a while due to waiting on baggage. I'm sure it was ours. We still made it to Sydney on time. "Yes", I thought, on time this should be no problem. I've been through there 3 times already and never seen such a sight once we get off and head to immigration. People everywhere, hundreds of them, maybe even millions. Huge line backed all the way through the ropes. I asked some immigration guy that was walking around, spouting off like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, if we could take the express line with the kids. Of course not, I don't have a golden ticket. So we stand halfway through the line and finally Karlee is crying and some guy pulls us out and lets us take the express lane. (Thanks a lot jerk that wouldn't let us!) So we get bags and thankfully fit on the cart without any issue and here is where the real chaos begins. There are 2 entrances through customs, one for declaration and one without and no real area for people to wait or stand except in the middle of baggage claim. Then everyone on the declarations side are trying to get on the non-declarations side and vice versa. You couldn't tell where any end of the line was so I told Julie we're going to park it and cut. Some turd Brit got his feelings hurt and made some dumb comment about us cutting, even with our little chil'ns (must be a great guy), so we just drifted back a bit and stood by some nice Asian folk (I know they don't mind or at least won't say anything.). So we flew through after that: the customs lady must have felt sorry for us as we didn't have to go through the dog sniffers and then out of security and through the international terminal where everyone is free to stand in the middle of the airport waiting on arrivals. Then you got lazy Larry in no rush for his plane walking in the only small patch of free aisle, then finally we're almost to the Qantas domestic check-in and a group of young asians with loaded up carts over their heads just beat us. Doesn't matter anyway, it's backed up through the doors! So we wait for eternity again and finally when we get up to the counter I knew there was no way we would make the flight to Perth so they switched us to the next flight 3 hours later. And by the way, you have to check the stroller here. What! They don't have gate check-in for strollers and wheelchairs and such. They have strollers you can borrow - IN TERMINAL 3! WE'RE IN TERMINAL 1 ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RUNWAYS! So then we have to deliver our oversize baggage and stroller to the oversize baggage area which is back right at the entrance (whoever designed this airport is a moron). So we carry the kids and our carry-ons, both about to have hernias, through security and then onto the bus that takes us to the domestic terminal. Finally, we eat, change diapers 20 times and finally get on the plane to Perth but not after another delay: tire had to be changed.
Now we're both pretty exhausted. Karis sleeping in the car seat. Julie don't want to hold the baby, I don't want to hold the baby. We get to Perth on time because the pilot must have connections at the Perth airport because they let him take a short cut and speed in. So we get to Perth, credit card not working to get cart for baggage so I kidnap a lone one and we wait for taxi van. Finally get home then taxi driver couldn't get any of my credit cards to work. After 50 tries he finally switches to another card reader and it works first time (thanks for wasting our time Mr. we've got all day no problem). Thankfully my car was already dropped off at the house so then I could get food and we could go to bed.
We all packed up and went to the grocery on Saturday and let Julie have a feel for her new stomping grounds. I ran around all weekend trying to get things to keep us over until our shipment arrives. Got Julie a local prepaid phone so she can reach me and text. We went to church Sunday. Karis did good on her first visit to the creche. Julie got to meet a few of the folks I previously befriended (many are at some beach retreat down south), and this one couple that had invited me over to their house before said they are inviting us to swim in their pool. I started back at work on Monday. Not much else, just trying to figure out what to cook. Most of our furniture was delivered today so that is nice we don't have to chase Karis around trying to feed her. Our air freight finally left so we it should arrive in Australia in the next couple days but I have no idea how long customs will rummage through it. Yesterday Karis really started walking everywhere. She is really gaining confidence and balance and walking up and down the halls. Growing up so quick. Anyways, we should have internet sometime next week and Julie can call you all and talk all day while I slave away at work.
We love you all. I don't have everyone's email addresses (Kristin, Becky, Jamie, William, etc.) so please add whoever I left off. Feel free to ask any questions or just shoot us a message sometime if you feel like it.
Love,
Mike, Julie, Karis and Karlee
Wow!!! He can speak!! LOL
ReplyDelete